Romanian F-16 Destroys Explosive Drone Near Black Sea Gas Platform

A Romanian F-16 fighter jet destroyed a maritime drone carrying explosives near the Neptun Deep offshore gas project in the Black Sea on Thursday, August 20, in what authorities described as a serious security threat to critical energy infrastructure and the hundreds of workers on site.

The unmanned surface vessel was first reported at approximately 6:28 a.m. local time by a commercial vessel. It was drifting several hundred meters from the Neptun Alpha production platform, located about 80 nautical miles (roughly 148 kilometers) east of Constanța in Romania’s exclusive economic zone. The Romanian Coast Guard promptly alerted the Ministry of National Defence.

Interim Defence Minister Radu Miruță said a command cell was quickly established at the ministry. Authorities requested that operational command be transferred from NATO to the Romanian military. After assessment and coordination with President Nicușor Dan, the decision was made to neutralize the drone to protect the lives of several hundred personnel working on the platform and to safeguard vital energy infrastructure.

Two Romanian Air Force F-16s were scrambled with authorization to open fire. One aircraft engaged the target with its onboard cannon, striking the drone. The vessel was damaged but not fully destroyed and continued to drift. A Coast Guard vessel carrying an explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) team from the Romanian Naval Forces later located the device. Specialists confirmed it carried an explosive charge and conducted a controlled detonation to complete the neutralization. Video footage released by the Defence Ministry showed the F-16 engaging the drone and the subsequent disposal operation.

Miruță stated that Romanian authorities contacted Ukraine through a recently established direct communication channel and received official confirmation that the drone was not of Ukrainian origin. “The drone was destroyed safely. It was loaded with explosives,” he said in an official statement.

President Nicușor Dan strongly condemned the incident, attributing it to Russia. “I strongly condemn the intensification of these types of irresponsible incidents on the part of the Russian Federation,” Dan wrote. “We remain vigilant alongside NATO allies to defend ourselves and repel such challenges.” He also congratulated the Romanian Armed Forces, the F-16 pilots, and the Coast Guard for their rapid response, describing the operation as “a race against time” focused on protecting lives and critical infrastructure.

The episode is the latest in a series of drone-related incidents near Neptun Deep and across NATO’s eastern flank. Earlier in August, Romanian forces destroyed two Russian-made Gerbera-type aerial drones found drifting near the same offshore site. Neptun Deep, developed jointly by OMV Petrom and Romgaz, is expected to make Romania the European Union’s largest natural gas producer once full production begins in 2027.

The incident underscores the growing spillover risks from Russia’s war in Ukraine, as drones and other threats increasingly approach NATO territory and vital Black Sea energy assets. Romanian officials emphasized continued vigilance and close coordination with allies.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *